The Victoria Park Local History Group, based at St Chrysostom’s Church had a stall at the Manchester Village Fete in Albert Square.
As well as a game to guess the dates of events in Manchester’s history (do you know what year the Thomas Clarkson gave his sermon on the abolition of slavery at Manchester Cathedral?), there was a Manchester Quiz.
Why not have a go…
1. Manchester has a large indoor sports arena, which is often used for boxing events and pop concerts. There wasn’t much room in the city to build it. Over which train station was it built?
2. Manchester has two famous football teams, Manchester United and Manchester City, but which other local team plays at ‘Spotland’?
3. The worst riot to hit the British penal system was at Strangeways Prison (now called HMP Manchester). What year did it happen?
4. There is a myth that it rains comparatively more in Manchester than most other cities in England. But does it?
5. How many free car parking places were there at the Trafford Centre when it was opened?
6. Manchester is home to one of the biggest municipal parks in Europe. What is it called?
7. In which square is the Manchester Town Hall?
8. Salford Reds Rubgy League team play at which ground?
9. Which film which based in New York has several outside scenes filmed in Manchester?
10. Which games board is there a specific Manchester version of?
11. What is the telephone dialing code for Manchester?
12. What year was Manchester bombed by the IRA?
13. What colour is the Manchester Terrier dog?