Visitors often ask about our church’s dedication, and we are pleased to tell them about our patron, St John Chrysostom.
Then we are often asked why this dedication for this church? The short answer is that it is probably because a relative of one of our worthy founders, Archdeacon Anson, had published a book on St John Chrysostom a little before our church was built.
And the next question is often – are there many other Anglican churches with this dedication? The short answer is ‘No, not many’ – but to be more kind here is some more detail on this.
In England there have been five Church of England churches all originally named St Chrysostom’s:
Birmingham (1888) – Musgrave Road, Winson Green, closed 1970 and demolished.
Bradford (1853) – no longer standing, its parish was amalgamated into St James, Bolton, Bradford.
Liverpool (1853) – original building destroyed by fire in 1970, replaced by a modern church building in Queens Road, Everton, in 1975.
Manchester (1877) – that’s us – the only one still using the original building.
Peckham (Church founded 1814, named St Chrysostom 1865) – original building in Hill Street demolished 1963, new church, ‘St John’s‘, built in different location 1966.
Within the Anglican Communion there are more churches dedicated in honour of St Chrysostom.
In the US they are in Chicago,
in Golden, CO,
and in Quincy, MA.
There is one St Chrysostom Church in West Brunswick, Melbourne, Australia, and there is also one in Nigeria (about which we’d love to know more).
(There is also a Continuing Anglican St John Chrysostom, not within the Anglican Communion, which now seems to be styled the Anglican Internet Church in Richmond, Virginia.)
We believe this list is complete, but of course we’d welcome corrections.
We send our greetings to our sister churches, within this small fellowship of Anglican churches bearing the name of St John Chrysostom!