Isobel Booler, Headteacher of St John’s School writes:
As Headteacher of St John’s I was really pleased to host and speak at a Deanery Synod meeting, which had a major item on church – school relations . It was great to welcome people to school.
I started to think about everything school and St Chrysostom’s church, our parish church, have done together, and wow what a list!
- Victoria Park festival concert on church
- Fantastic Haiku workshop at the church
- Mosaic project, with St Chrysostom’s school
- Helping with the Prayer tree inauguration
- Christmas concert at Church organised by school staff
- World Smile Day – church members went round all classes distributing smiley faces to children and all staff
- Community Day at school
- Parish Assistant Programme
- Church Governors
- Adult conversation classes for women held at school organised by church members
Many of the events are now an important part of our annual calendar with the children enjoying the opportunity to work with St Chrysostom’s Church and also with St Chrysostom’ School. I think everyone will agree that some of the one off projects such as the mosaics and the Haiku have been amazing and have enriched both the school life, the church and indeed our local community.
Most of our children and familes are muslims and it is fantastic that christians and muslims are doing so much together through the school. Here at St John’s we look forward to working together in an increasing variety of ways in the future. A member of St Chrysostom’s congregation has offered to hear our children read, and we are hoping children will help Church spread the message about caring for our local environment. Any keen gardeners would be very welcome to join us in a joint gardening project and make use of our extensive greenhouse.