Here’s a light hearted quiz for St Andrew’s day (November 30th). Why not have a go? It was compiled for a group of Church of England priests so apologies to none UK readers!
1 “As of old, Saint Andrew heard it By the Galilean lake…” Is a line from which hymn, and who wrote it?
2 St Andrew is named Andrew the Protoclete in Greek Orthodoxy, what does Protoclete mean?
3 Where were Andrew Ketterley, and his nephew Diggory Kirke, two of the first people to set foot?
4 Can you arrange these English Church dedications in order of frequency, from most to least? (From Studies in English Church Dedications)
StPaul, St Andrew, Holy Trinity, St John Baptist
5. One of the most prestigious UK awards for a children’s book is named after an American philanthropist. Who was he?
6. In 1361, Edward III moved his storehouse for Royal arms and clothing and other personal items of the Crown from the Tower of London to a location near to which City of London Church?
7. At the beginning of the film Toy Story which two toys compete for the affections of Andy?
8. Which former Archbishop of Canterbury wrote: “Who shall say that Peter himself did more for his Lord than Andrew who brought Peter to him? It is ever so. We never know who is doing the greatest work for God.”
9.Who said: “I have no more wit than a Christian or an ordinary man has: but I am a great eater of beef and I believe that does harm to my wit.”
10. How old is Prince Andrew? and what number is he in succession to the British throne?