For several years Fr Ian has prepared a quiz on the theme of angels for a priests’ gathering at Michaelmas. Here is a recent one. At the quiz itself points are given for humorous, if wrong, answers, as well as correct answers. Why not have a go? (Apologies that some of the questions are very UK oriented)
- Which popular hymn contains this seldom sung verse, and how does the verse end?
2. Who according to tradition may weigh your soul on the last day of judgement?
3. a) Who in tradition, will have sounded the trumpet on the last day of judgement? and b) Which religious group believe the archangel Gabriel lived a mortal life as Noah?
4. Which Archangel has the same name as a teenage mutant ninja turtle?
5. Which Archangel, according to some ancient Christian traditions, rescues John the Baptist from the massacre of the Innocents?
i) A former Shadow leader of the House of Commons
ii) The actor who plays the fictional detective of Cabots Cove
iii) A former researcher in physical chemistry and now leading world politician
7. On which London underground line is Angel station situated?
8. Who sang:And I said, “Fly on my sweet angel, Fly on through the sky, Fly on my sweet angel, Tomorrow I’m gonna be by your side”
9. In which modern novel by a leading Catholic author do these words appear
“I know–from experience–how much beauty Satan carried down with him when he fell. Nobody ever said the fallen angels were the ugly ones. Oh, no, they were just as quick and light”
10. Whose final sermon contained these words:
“Thank God I’m nearer home today than I’ve ever been, Home sweet home where Jesus is, where the great apostles are, where the mighty angels are, where all our blood-washed friends are.”