December 6th – St Nicholas’ Day.
Try our fun quiz for the day.
1 Nicholas was Bishop of Myra. In which modern country is ancient Myra?
2. What was the name of the store manager, played by Nicholas Smith in the popular British Comedy series Are you being served?
3. Of which of the following countries is Nicholas NOT the patron saint a) Greece b) Belgium c) Bulgaria d) Romania
4. In which Church was the Queen’s cousin, Lord Nicholas Windsor married, in 2006? Was it a) St George’s Chapel, Windsor b) Westminster Abbey or c) The Church of the Abyssinans in the Vatican
5. In the cantata St Nicolas by Benjamin Britten as Nicolas comes from his mother’s womb what does he sing? Is it a) Benedicamus Domino b) God be glorified or c) Serve the Faith
6. What was the relationship between Saint Nicholas the passion bearer to King George V of England?
7. Who was the 23rd President of France? He was President from 2007 to 2012.
8. In which year was Nicholas Parsons the presenter of the popular radio programme Just a Minute born?
9. Which British politician is the grandson of Kira von Engelhardt, the Baroness von Smolensk? Is it a) Nick Clegg b) Sir Nicholas Soames c) Sir Nicholas Winterton d) Sir Nicholas Soames
10. In which country are two St Nicholas figures recognised; Cold St Nicholas, who brings the first snow, and Warm St Nicholas, who brings moisture to too dry areas in the summer. Is it a) Portugal b) Germany or c) Ukraine
And a supplementary question. This illustration is from a seventh century triptych in the Holy Monastery of the God-trodden, Mount Sinai. Nicholas is depicted on the left, but who have we on the right?
You’re welcome to write answers as comments, below
(Apologies to none English people who may find the quiz particularly difficult.)