Tag Archives: Lord Wharton

Pilgrimage to a place of Protestant Dissent

In 1689 Philip, Lord Wharton, a puritan sympathiser, had part of his shooting lodge at Smarber, in the Swaledale hills above Low Row converted into a chapel for ‘Protestant Dissenters.’ The chapel, long gone into ruins, was tiny and simple. … Continue reading

Posted in Anglican, Spirituality | Tagged , , | Leave a comment